Friday, August 15, 2008

The Old Schoolhouse Magazine



If you home school, I have GOT to turn you on to a new resource....The Old Schoolhouse Magazine! This periodical has cool insights, tips, and tricks for parents and homeschoolers alike. I love to read about how other homeschool families approach everyday life and homeschooling. It is fun for me to find new ways to introduce a concept in math, find a different outlook on how to parent all different types of learners, or just look for a particular subject/curriculum when reading this magazine. It is a company that I am growing to love more and more with each email of encouragement and magazine that I receive. There are so many great articles and the people who write these articles are just really down to earth. They have a real-life outlook that has captured my attention! Because my husband Chris is a pastor, I'm in a unique position to meet new people from many walks of life all the time! The Old Schoolhouse has given me some cool conversation starters several times as I relate an idea I read. It's authentic approach is very easy to connect with.

Of course, Old Schoolhouse is highly applicable to homeschooling as well. As all home-schoolers know, home-schooling is a way of life, not just a curriculum choice, that is both rewarding and a challenge. We use a variety of calendars to help keep everyone organized. I mean with all of the activities, play dates, church functions, field trips and not to mention all of your curriculum for each child. I think that I have been very fortunate to have stumbled upon a really awesome home-schooling calendar. When I find a treasure like The Old Schoolhouse Magazine, I just have to let the whole world know!

1 comment:

Leeanne said...

Hey Jen! The kids at the camp are homeschooled, and Kaylin loves to show me the books she's using this year. And I love to read them when she's done. This year is sort of a "1776-1860" time period, so I get to read a lot of stories about colonial life and also slavery. They use a lot of historical fiction books because she relates well to that. It makes me think that homeschooling might not just be good for kids, but fun for me! :)
Love,
Leeanne