Saturday, February 16, 2008

Cool Places To Visit


Good Morning. It is sunny but a very deceiving looking. There is snow on the ground and is 21*F outside with a chance of more snow this weekend. This post is for those of us dealing with cabin fever or just plain boredom.
For some people, like me, who often find it hard to think of cool places to take our kids for either field trips or just plain fun family days. Here are a couple ideas to start:

For Summer time try...
Beckman Mill
My brother and sister-in-law, who lives in Northern IL close to the Wisconsin border, told me about this one. They were able to see the mill in action plus they bought some of the stone ground corn and wheat flour. One of the last times my family & I visited them, they blessed us with some of their flour and corn meal. I have to say, IT WAS AWESOME!


For All Seasons try...


Fair Oaks Farms: Dairy Farm
This a working dairy farm in Indiana about 2 hours from Chicagoland area. I've visited the web-site and driven past on our way to see my parents Indiana. It looks like a really fun place to go. Check it out!




Best of all, check out your local library to find fun activities for the kids to do.
A lot of times these activities are free or have a minimal cost.





There will be more to come in the next few months.

1 comment:

Leeanne said...

Jen,
I have been to the Fair Oaks dairy farm! Three times, no less! It's a great place to go - they have a dairy tour and you get to see milk being pasteurized and cows being milked, plus they have a dairy museum that is totally hands-on! It's amazingly cool for grown-up (I went with college friends each time), so I bet kids would love it too!
Oh, there's also a 4D (smells, sounds, water spritzes, etc.) movie about dairy farms. So cool! :)